School Sustainability GoGreen Plan
Mission and Vision
Changkat Primary’s School Sustainability GoGreen Programme builds on the MOE Eco Stewardship Programme, which focuses on the current environmental efforts in schools. This will be done holistically through the 4Cs:
Curriculum: Enhance teaching and learning of sustainability in Science and Humanities, and integrate campus sustainability features into learning resources to make learning more authentic.
Campus: Enhance campus with sustainability features like solar panels, LED lights and energy-efficient fans.
Culture: Practise daily habits like reducing food waste and energy use, and encourage students to champion sound sustainability practices amongst peers.
Community: Leverage community partnerships to offer students more environment-related learning opportunities, and better understanding of future “green jobs”.
The school programmes are aligned to the 4Cs.
Our school’s ALP (ECO@CKP) offers focuses on the contextual theme of Sustainability. ECO@CKP is integrated into Project Work (PW) and tiered at 2 levels. At Tier 1, ALP-PW coding lessons are weaved into the curriculum at Primary 1 to Primary 5 levels. During the lessons, students learn coding using various coding platforms such as Awbie, Scratch and Micro:bits. During their PW journey, students are updated with the current environmental issues.
Our school regularly upgrades our school facilities and processes to reduce waste and promote green initiatives.
- We have the food compost system to make compost for our – gardens
- Our butterfly trail and Science garden to promote greenery.
- Use of 4 ticks energy saving appliances such as our aircon.
- Settin of 24 Degree Celsius for air-conditioned rooms to prevent wastage of energy.
- Less paper waste with more parents on-board Parents’ gateway.
- Exploration of setting up vertical gardens in future to cool down our school building.
Our school taps on our CCE VIA programme to inculcate the culture of 3Rs – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
A few examples are:
- Lessons on 3Rs take place during FTGP for P3.
- P5 upcycling programme
- P1-P6 recycling programme
- VIA leaders to promote green initiatives.
- P6 Social Enterprise Day, where students upcycle items into toys, art work and sell them to contribute to social causes.
- Food compost programme and Clean plate campaign to educate our students to reduce food waste.
We partner with external organisations such as NEA, Terra and Science Centre, to create awareness of current sustainability issues that Singapore face.
- R.I.S.E exhibition by Terra to create awareness on the rising water level in February 2022.
- Singapore World Water Day.
- Differentiated SLS lessons created for Singapore World Water Day with quizzes and activities.